Thank you for your support at the Coal Industry Day
2021 Speakers included:
The Coal Industry Day
2021 Coal Industry Day
For Producers, Traders, Investors & Users
Tuesday 27 July 2021
Brought to you by Resources for Africa, the organisers of the Joburg Indaba, the 3rd edition of the Coal Industry Day took place as a virtual discussion on Tuesday 27th July. This year’s event focused on the current challenges facing the industry, including the future of coal given the increasing environmental pressures and how to achieve a just energy transition for the Southern African coal mining industry, given these pressures as well as social and economic impacts.
The ongoing effects of Covid-19 on the industry, funding for coal projects, the local and export coal markets, Eskom’s current and future strategies and coal producers’ strategies were all addressed.
Industry leaders from coal miners, buyers, traders, investors and funders, environmental and legal experts, business organisations and independent consultants discussed key issues such as:
- Why we need to change the narrative about coal
- The global outlook for coal post-Covid-19
- The changing face of the Southern African coal and energy market
- What is Eskom’s perspective on the role of coal in South Africa’s future energy mix?
- How are coal producers responding to changing market conditions?
- The future of funding for coal projects
- Local and international demand for coal in a post-Covid-19 world
- The just energy transition: how can Southern Africa move away from coal to cleaner energy sources?
- What is being done to create ‘green coal’ throughout the value chain?
- And much more...
Chair: Bernard Swanepoel
Programme at a Glance:
Welcome and introduction
Opening keynote address: Why we need to change the narrative about coal
Audience Q&A led by Bernard Swanepoel
|10h00||Audience Q&A led by Bernard Swanepoel
|11h00||Audience Q&A led by Bernard Swanepoel
|12h00||Audience Q&A led by Bernard Swanepoel
|13h15||Audience Q&A led by Bernard Swanepoel
|14h00||Session introduction by Bernard Swanepoel
|14h35||Audience Q&A led by Bernard Swanepoel
|15h25||Audience Q&A led by Bernard Swanepoel
|15h55||Session introduction by Bernard Swanepoel
|16h30||Audience Q&A led by Bernard Swanepoel
|17h10||Audience Q&A led by Bernard Swanepoel
|17h25||Closing remarks and end of conference
Mining Industry Partners:
African Mining Brief, Coalshastra, Global African Network, Modern Mining, Mining CSI, Metal Focus, Mining Review Africa, Women in Mining
The Coal Industry Day is brought to you by Resources 4 Africa, the organisers of the Joburg Indaba.
“By the industry for the industry”